Monday, November 16, 2009

Yellow Brick Road

My Next Bad Habit

I’m starting to feel that familiar pull once more.
Twitching like a fiend, I’m about to knock down the door.
It’s worse than a nicotine craving one can feel,
As long as you don’t touch me, it won’t become real.


Boy, you’re about to be my next bad habit.
I’m trying to break the cycle, cuz I’ve already had it.
I’ve been down this road before and remember it well.
You’re the first addiction on another path to hell.


I see you and immediately my eyes are over come with a glaze.
Your style, voice and words tend to leave me in a daze.
I need to be stronger than this since my eyes are open wide.
I’m being pulled out to sea by the undercurrent and tide.


Boy, you’re about to be my next bad habit.
The stench this will leave on me is gonna be rancid.
I see the end before we begin this whole ordeal.
Why can’t I seem to protect the heart I know you’ll steal?


I see the first shoe, like a Jimmy Choo, it has my attention.
I forget to watch for the second one to drop, the one you didn’t mention.
When it falls, I remember what I forgot, but let me be candid.
I knew from the start you’d be my next bad habit.
.
.
Some of us, me included, do this all the time. We go the distance to start something when we’ve already seen the end of the road. We spend our time trying to paint the sky a different color. This level of deception to others and/or to self is detrimental to all over emotional health. We can’t claim to be victims of things we allow to happen, when it happens in plain sight and we ignore all the warning signs. Now, I’m not pointing fingers at everyone but me, I’ve done this too. This piece at first glance makes me say, why on earth do we do that? We see the writing on the wall and refuse to acknowledge it. We head into it with all of the “what if” thoughts swarming our minds. Let’s make a conscious effort to not wait for the other shoe to drop. Just take both shoes and fined a new street beforehand.
Copyright © 2009 Natasha Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment