Wednesday, January 8, 2014

First 2014 Poem

The One

You were the one
Who made me laugh
With a two word voicemail.

You are the one
Asking all the wrong questions
At exactly the right times.

You'll always be the one
Who provided the comfiest place
In a quiet room.

For now, you are that one.
Who knows if you are my one.
That story hasn't even begun.

I was the one
Who tried to find the gift
You didn't know you wanted.

I am the one
Poking and prodding until
I find your smile's hiding place.

I'll always be the one
Who helped you discover
How Jack fell down the hill.

He and she are not "they".
You and I are not "we" today.
But always friends, come what may.

Copyright © 2014 Natasha Guy

2 comments:

  1. I dug this. You can tell that the speaker is simultaneously acknowledging that there's nothing there between these two and yet open to the prospect of it. With most people, I find, it's either or. I'm starting to notice a pattern in your pieces, where you seem apt at capturing little life moments in poetry and that's very difficult to do, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting the year off right I see!! Love it! I hope to read more ...

    speaking of...I joined up on http://poetryzoo.com/
    I hope you join me there too. So I can swoon over your words there since I'm not around on Blogger much anymore.

    Happy New Year my poetic friend!

    ReplyDelete