Saturday, July 12, 2014

Backlogged Poem #2

Never Too Far

It’s three am and you can’t sleep.
Why is it that I get a text?
I have too many lingering questions.
How can you still be so ignorant?

Maybe it’s not ignorance as much as…
I don’t know, lack of caring?
Do the pained faces etching new frown lines
Make you think about the tears in your wake?

Check up on me though.
Keep that connection
To my heart.
Just in case.

I’m too busy holding myself together to
Chastise you for using me as a crutch;
Ignoring the wounds you inflict in the
Name of friendship and camaraderie.

It seems so easy for you to move on
From our last shared emotional junction.
You’ve already embarked on another journey,
Leaving me with my half of the map as a souvenir.

Keep checking on me though.
Maintain that thin connection
To my inner sanctum,
Because you never know.

And if I can keep it that way,
You’ll never know again
Just how scarred
I am, because of you.

Copyright © 2014 Natasha Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment