Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Birthday Week Revelation

Rooted

Usually, when we have the more serious talks,
We don't really face one another.
It's like it takes all of the energy we possess
Just to put it all out there, to bear everything,
Like the effort to hold a gaze is too great.

So this time, instead of lying next to you,
Instead of snuggling into your arms,
Instead of hiding from love with my back turned,
I will greet it, honor it, face to face.
I'll show it that I deserve it this time.

So I'll perch atop your hips, my
Legs straddling your core and my
Hands resting on your chest while
I direct my eyes to meet yours, not in
A challenge, but in reverence of the following truths:

I make decisions daily to love you.
Whether you label it or not, I choose
To be where I know I belong: by your side.
As much as I've changed, my heart has
Remained adamant that you are its home.

Therefore I no longer fight; I surrender
And accept that it knows its place in this world.
I knew it all along, but wouldn't admit that
It only took vacations and never strayed...
Stayed away too long before being home sick for you.

And my voice may tremble and my hands may
Shake as I continue to explain how it
All fits together in my head. And it
May get a little heavier than you like,
But I promise not to leave all of it on you.

I'll simply leave a token of my love
Because it's what I've always tried to do.
It's important to me that you know and
Hear it...not just know because you know
Who I am growing to be, but I need to be able to say it.

The Japanese proverb says fall seven and rise eight,
So maybe we'll get it right this time and maybe not.
Some things I do know though: My place is with
You. My heart is with you. It's a choice I make
Continually, day after day, because even if I knew
The world was ending tomorrow,

I'd still plant my apple tree with you today.


Copyright © 2015 Natasha Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment